Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Retro Jason is one of the variations of Jason Voorhees featured in the game. Though not from any of the films, this Jason is modeled after his appearance in the 1989 Friday the 13th video game for the NES, by LJN. The costume also replaces the music that plays when Jason is in close vicinity with chiptune-style music.
Characteristics, Appearance, and Weapons[edit | edit source]
See also: Jason (Part 3)
In terms of his appearance, there isn't much of a difference as Retro Jason is just a re-colored skin of Part 3 Jason. The mask, his hands, and boots are colored aqua, while his head and neck, shirt, pants, and the mask's straps are colored purple.
In the 1989 game, Jason only uses an axe and a machete, both with the handles in dark orange and the blades in bright white. In the game, Jason's preferred weapon of choice is the same felling axe that Part 3 Jason uses in-game.
His chase theme is Return to Camp Blood, composed by Mitch Murder. It replaces Part 3's chase theme and uses 8-bit sounds.
Strengths and Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
Due to him being a skin of Part 3 Jason, he has identical strengths and weaknesses.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
In-Game[edit | edit source]
- Although not the first Jason variant to have not been modeled after any appearances from the films (outside of Savini Jason), it is the first and currently only Jason to have been modeled after his appearance in a video game, being the 1989 NES game.
- Although the previews of Retro Jason was seen with the axe recolored much like in the 1989 game, this isn't present for some reason in-game as the axe that Retro Jason uses is the same axe model that Part 3 Jason uses.
- There are plans for Retro Jason to be stand alone like the rest of the Jasons, complete with his own strengths and weakness.
Other[edit | edit source]
- The toy company NECA released figures of Jason based on his appearance in the 1989 NES game. Just like Retro Jason, they're also recolors of Part 3 Jason that come with a recolored machete, axe and the floating Pamela head from the NES game.
- Interestingly, the 1989 NES game had Part 7 Jason on its cover.
- Before the NES game came out in 1989, a Friday the 13th computer game came out for the ZX Spectrum, the Amstrad CPC and the Commodore 64 in 1984. Players had to protect their character's friends, guess which among them is actually Jason in disguise and kill him using any weapon they can find before their fear reaches a certain level and he kills them. Jason, however, does not wear any mask in gameplay and instead seems to be a regular, black-haired man dressed in black once exposed in the Amstrad CPC and Commodore 64 versions of the game. In the ZX Spectrum version, his sprite is identical to some of the player characters' and their male friends, making him even harder to distinguish. The game's title screen on all versions of the game, which is based on The Final Chapter's poster, is one of the few parts of the game to actually properly feature the hockey mask.
See also[edit | edit source]